My favorite salad dressing comes from a cookbook published by St. Paul’s Church in Burlington, VT. Balsamic vinegar and fruity olive oil are ideal complements to the sweetness of maple.
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine mustard and basil.
- Whisk in vinegar, maple syrup, lemon juice, and garlic.
- Whisk in olive oil, and continue whisking until the dressing is blended.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. (Dressing will keep, covered, in refrigerator for several weeks)
Makes 1.25 cups.